Thursday 20 October 2011

Jerusalem!

My family just got back from a short but exciting trip to Jerusalem! I never imagined it to be like it is!

My dad and brother Nolan left to go to Jerusalem last Friday at 4am. They went with a friend that toured them around. They went to the dead sea and a few other places. My mom, Elijah, Benjamin and I met up with them on Monday morning. We had to take a bus..it was kind of like a Greyhound bus. We left Tiberias at 7am and arrived at about 11am.

My, my! It's twice as busy as Tiberias!! It's mostly because of the feast of Sukkot. Every night in Jerusalem and Tiberias, there is singing and rejoicing! From children to the elderly, they would rejoice during Sukkot! Ive never heard such praising!

The first place we went was to the old city. What a place to go to! Some of the stuff is from the King Solomon era! It's amazing to see things that are SO old! Some of the flooring is 2000 years old! People are still living in the old city. It's just rebuilt up a bit from the 1967 war. You see all kinds of Jews just within a small section of Jerusalem. But apparently it's soooooooo expensive to live in the old city! Some flooring in the people's houses is over 2000 years old!! No wonder it's called the old city!


My favorite part of being in Jerusalem was touching the Wailing Wall and saying a prayer. That was a dream come true for me! It was beautiful! There where little prayer rolls in the wall people had stuck in. The men and the women were split into two different sections. The men were on the left and the women were on the right. On the men's side there were big Torah scrolls in beautiful cupboards against the wall. On the women's side there were bookshelves filled with prayer books. It's just amazing!!

While we were at the Wailing Wall the Israeli Soldier was freed! But the palistinian soldiers were freed also. So on the other side of the wall on the palistinian side, the palistinian's were shooting off some kind of fireworks. It sorta freaked me out! lol but I guess they were just happy..and I was mad that the palistinian soldiers were freed. I'm so glad that the Israeli Soldier was freed though!!

Oh my, the doughnuts in Jerusalem are the BEST!!! They are huge!! But SO good :) I posted a picture below.

Another thing that you would never see in Canada is that there are soldiers everywhere in Israel! My goodness! I'm starting to get used to seeing them with guns! Like M4's which are like machine guns I guess..I don't know a lot about guns. lol on the bus we took to get to Jerusalem and back there were Israeli soldiers on the bus with guns..I felt kinda safe!

One thing that is big to eat here and when I say big I mean big! Crapes! They are like a thin pancake with chocolate and coconut with much more! They are over rated though..well in my opinion they are..lol I couldn't finish mine because it was too rich!

The last night we were in Jerusalem, we went to a light show in King David's original tower castle house thing. (I'm not sure what it was..lol) but it was amazing!!! I enjoyed seeing how those walls were rebuilt and what they went through! The graphics were great!

I'm loving my experience so far in Israel! It's been such a blessing!
Below is the Wailing Wall




No comments:

Post a Comment